Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The Barkor Circuit



The Barkor circuit in Lhasa is a circumam -bulation route around the buildings surrounding the Jokhang Temple. It is an amazing site to watch the Pilgrams who come from all over the country walk around it almost endlessly. Take note of all the diffent regional influences in the clothes. At the start of the video, you will see a couple of people who are prostrating themselves around the circuit which earns you even more merit. Personally, seeing how some of the older people manage to carry themselves around, I think they are the ones who deserve the most merit

I probably spent more time editing this video than any of the others. I kept coming back to it for months on end. I finally ended up cutting about 4 minutes off the final edit and being more overt about cutting it to the beat of the music which is something I don;t generally do.
Travels in Tibet: The Barkor Circuit 30 megs 4:59 min quicktime

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the best 5 minutes i've spent today! The diversity here is amazing: full range of ages, traditional peasant clothes, monks' orange, pullover sweaters, frigging COWBOY HATS!!! Spectacular! Don't worry about cutting to follow the emotion of the soundtrack. Music and rhythm is obviously important to what these people are doing. The slow-mo gives it a transcendent religious feel. The glance at the camera in the last shot is great.

can you tell i am a fan?

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! Great job on the editing. I love the very last guy walking by as he looks up and spots you filming,a perfect ending.
I have been watching your videos all afternoon. Keep up the good work.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your vlogs. It really brings back the memories of my own trip to Tibet. I was going through my photos recently, and was thinking how they really didn't capture the power of moving things like the prayer flags or the sounds of Monks chanting. It was great to see it again.

Barkor Circuit really brings out the feeling of the circuit and the continuous movement of people. Great editing. Did you sit at that restaurant at that one corner to get those top-down shots (wish I could remember the name)?

I also liked Blue Truck Driving. Did you also have to roll up the windows every time a truck went by.

I could smell that horrible yak butter smell while watching the guy fix up the candles.

I can't wait to see your Vietnam and Cambodia footage too.

mewren.com

3:16 AM  
Blogger missbhavens said...

Awesome. Simply awesome.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home